1st roof layer put in!
It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve posted last, but I’ve been putting some steady work in on the trailer over the past 2 weekends. Right now I’m putting the interior section of the roof (the part that is visible from the inside of the trailer) up and tacking it to the spars that will ultimately support the whole roof. This has been without a doubt the hardest part of the whole trailer building process for me, in that the plywood I’m using is very flexible, light and quite delicate before it’s treated.
For the interior section of the roof, the plywood actually sits in between the walls rather than on top of the walls (that’s for the exterior section of the roof). Because of this, the plywood has to be exactly the right size so that it fits tightly and doesn’t leave any gaps.
Here is the wood I’m using, 1/8 inch thick lauan wood. Since my trailer is 5 feet wide and the only sheets of lauan I could find were in 4×8 foot sheets, I had to cut the lauan down to 4×5 foot sheets and tack multiple sheets together to make it work. Here are some pics!
Unfortunately, as is the case with woodworking, I didn’t cut my first sheet very well and didn’t realize this until I had already glued and screwed it into place (in the first picture you can see a slight gap in the top left side of the sheet). I took care of this by overlapping a section of the 2nd sheet onto the top part of the 1st sheet to take care of the gapping situation. More pics!!
Sadly I didn’t have my camera with me when I put up the last sheet of lauan so I don’t have any pictures of that, but I will take some and upload them soon! As usual, will keep everyone posted on progress!